Monday 17 November 2014

My First Half Marathon

I never thought that one day I would finish Half marathon, I am still working on trying to get my 5Km under 30 minutes, and my last 10Km was Amari midnight run.

I wanted to run Bangkok 10K Mini Marathon, but unfortunately the registration was closed in August, so i lost my chance there.
Then one day one of the Runners posted in group that she won't be able to go for half marathon and her Bib is for sale.
Half Marathon, umm no, I am not trained for Half M, I can hardly finish 10K
but look like this was my only way i can go for bangkok Marathon Running Event

I had 3 weeks in hand and i accepted the challenge, i bought bib from her and downloaded training plan from internet.
Every weekend i would go for long run of 13-15 kms and come back home tired and huffed puffed.
This made my confidence low, as the day came closer i was more more and more nervous and even had stomach pain.

So the Big weekend came, Race start time was 4am on sunday, met Bangkok runners team at start point, nervous and excited, i was ready to go run.

--- The Race ----
race started on time and i started running at regular pace,
my Plan was to go slow and finish 5k in 40 minutes,
then 10K in 1hour 20min
15Km mark in 2 hours
and i would have full one hour to reach 21K mark in case i am not able to run

--5Km Mark --
I reached in 40 minutes as planned, hydrated myself with water and sports drinks provided, and picked a banana from one of the fruits table

-10Km Mark--
I am still on planned time, picked another banana, but ate only 1/2, rest half went in bin, and i am tired
started with 1 min run and 1 min walk intervals, okay i am able to do this, just need to push myself during 1 min run interval, ran a bit faster at 5.65 min per km pace. and walked as slow as 11min per km pace

-15Km Mark-
yes i am on planned time, a happy me, but i am tired, and i need to really push myself to go any further, another 6kms ONLY. ate my 2nd GU gel i got with me

-16Km Mark -
I cannot run any more, my stomach hurts, every muscle of my leg hurts, not even able to run anymore, no banana and no gel is going to help me now, and i have 5 more kms to go
how are these people running, don't they feel tired, okay i need to check proper training plan so i don't drop dead at 16kms
let me walk a little, so i can catch up distance with running later

-18Kms mark-
had water and watermelon at fruit spot, and i need to get back to running now, i have been walking for 2kms now,
but not able to run anymore and even getting shin splints, Phew, I cannot get injured, kept reminding myself - Just walk and finish strong.

Pace - Oops 11.53 min per kms, my timings are gonna be bad. i won't see other timings or i am going to be embarrass of myself.

-20kms Mark-
I am doing good, keep walking, don't get demotivated of other people pacing and leaving you behind, you need proper training plan remember, next race you are going to run till finish time with a better timing to be happy about

- Finish Line -
I did it !!! even though slower but wooohooo, i am a Half Marathon Finisher.



No comments:

Post a Comment